OK – the impossible has just happened. You’ve been arrested in Detroit!
So, now what? Below are some important tips to remember so you don’t end up in a worse situation.
Arrested in Detroit – 8 Important Tips
- Don’t resist being arrested. That will only make it worse. Trying to resist arrest will give the police a reason to charge you with resisting arrest, and it will make your case more complicated.
- When you are arrested, you have the right to be told ‘why’ as well as the charges against you. If you are arrested because of a warrant, you have the right to see the warrant, read the warrant and charges against you, and make sure the name on the warrant is yours.
- Be respectful – this is not the time to fight your case or mouth off to them. You are not in court and no one will be looking out for you. Let your attorney do the talking on your appointed court date.
- Don’t give up your right to remain silent. You ‘do’ need to give them your name, address, date of birth – otherwise; being labeled as a ‘John Doe’ will create a much longer process. But don’t offer to give the police any help in making a case against you.
- Don’t try to prove your innocence or disprove so-called evidence. Chances are you will end up saying things that can be easily used against you or, in your efforts, incriminate you more.
- Don’t sign anything. If you sign something it could jeopardize your case or give away your right to a lawyer or jury trial. The police will try to get you to ‘admit’ to the charges, so don’t sign it.
- Most of all, you have the right to make a call, so it would be wise to call a responsible person, your attorney and/or a bail bondsman. Remember – calls may be recorded so be as brief as possible to whomever you call.
- If you are arrested in Detroit and need to secure bail, make sure you contact Detroit Bail Bonds. DBB specializes in the bond process, is available 24/7, and has the experience you will need to get you through the entire bond process. Detroit Bail Bonds offers free information and have agents ready to serve you not only in Michigan, but Ohio and Indiana as well.
The arrest process is not something you ever want to go through, but should it happen, Detroit Bail Bonds is ready to help you and give you the support you need. Contact them either online at www.detroitbailbonds.com or by phone at 313-244-0669. If I were you, I would keep their number handy or be sure it is posted at home where someone can find it. It will be one of the best decisions you’ve ever made.
If you have any questions on the bail bond process, visit DBB’s blog The Ultimate Guide to the Bail Bond Process.